[Amps] IC-706 and ALS-500M

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Fri Apr 2 10:20:02 EST 2004

I would like to use an IC-706 to drive an ALS-500M.  Pin 3 of the 706
accessory socket goes to ground on transmit, but it apparently can only
sink 20mA.  The ALS-500M manual says that the T/R switching circuit
supplies less than 100 mA on transmit, but does not specify the exact
current.  It sounds like that in order to switch the amp into transmit
from the 706 I'm going to have to use a relay in between the 706's pin 3
and the 500M in order to handle the current.  I wonder if anyone else
has used these two units together and what they have done?

73, Joe