[Amps] Question about an old home-brew amp

W0UN -- John Brosnahan shr at swtexas.net
Thu Apr 8 08:41:58 EDT 2004

Chris--

Not going to be much help, but HP did build some HF power
amps using the 3CX1000A7 for internal use in some of their
industrial heating processes.  Possibly this is a prototype
and operational on the ISO freq of 13.56 MHz.   Twenty years
ago I had an amp or two from HP that used a 3CX1000A7--but
it has been a long time and I don't recall much about it.

And the "Freyman" MIGHT indicate Bob Freyman, W5VO,
who dealt a lot in surplus equipment both while he was
working at Los Alamos and later when he retired to Longmont,
CO.  He had a store in Longmont for a few years with an
entire basement (2,000-3,000 square feet) absolutely FULL of
electronics equipment and lots of RF stuff.  Unfortunately
Bob passed away a couple of years ago after an extended
illness.

The 3CX1000A7 is an "OK" tube.   Just OK, not great.  It is linear
and will work through the HF and low VHF bands but it has
a power hungry filament (5 volts at 30 amps) and the twist-lock
style socket.

For ham use the 4CX250 is more trouble than it is worth as a
driver since you don't need a driver with the typical 100 watt rig.
Sounds like you have a good start on a home brew amp but you
will have a lot of work to do.  If you can strip the driver out and
if the rest of the layout is conducive to modification to a 20M or
bandswitching amp amp you can go that route.   But since it
was probably designed for 13.56 MHz the tank caps are probably
inadequate to get much lower in freq.  Or you may just have a good
box of parts for some future amp project -- or two amp projects,
a 4CX250 VHF amp and a 3CX1000A7 HF amp.

Good luck--John   W0UN