[Amps] Relays for RF switching

VE6JY Don Moman ve6jy at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri Apr 16 20:23:42 EDT 2004

 I would suggest using the encapsulated sealed relays such as the Potter and
Brumfield RKS-5DW-12 (about 8$ in Canada) or the lighter rated - and cheaper
($C2.50) Aromat JS1E-12v.  I think both are in the DigiKey catalogue.  Both
have given excellent service at legal limit at HF, indoors and out for up to
10 years (so far) with no failures.  The P&B ones are used in the DX
Engineering remote relay box I have which is rated to 5 KW.  I have used
other misc relays in the junk box that have worked fine, the exception was
another one of the lower voltage high current power relays you mentioned.
As I recall (it was several years ago) it had poor SWR or isolation when
tested so didn't use it.  There must be significantly poorer dielectric
and/or insulating properties in these relays when used at RF.

73 Don
VE6JY