[Amps] Serious design stage

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Wed Apr 21 03:08:46 EDT 2004

Jim Isbell wrote:
>After collecting parts for most of a year I am in the serious design
>stage of a 4-1000A linear.  The power supply, because of its size is to
>be external and connected by a cable.
>
>In the first design I was going to bring the 6500VDC power through a
>cable to the linear.  But then it occurred to me that since the main
>reason for the separate supply was the size...which is MOSTLY the 12KVA
>transformer I am using.  It might be safer to just make the transformer
>external and have the rectifiers and filter capacitors in the
>transmitter case thus allowing the only the transmission of AC, at a
>lower potential, (using a voltage doubler circuit) in the cable.  Thus,
>by just turning off the input power I could eliminate the potential on
>the cable instantly...or almost so...while the filter capacitors which
>are the biggest danger would be in the transmitter cage and would be
>connected to shorting circuits controlled by the safety switches on the
>lid of the transmitter.
>
>There must be some reason this is not a good idea as I have never seen
>it done.

It's mostly the inconvenience of running several high-voltage,
high-current cables - and also multiple redundant safety ground bonding.

You also need to think *very* carefully about the right locations for
mains and HV-AC fuses, to protect against a short if any wire breaks...
or any pair of wires... or...

In all other respects, it's not much different from 'remoting' the
complete HV power supply, and that's a routine thing to do.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek