[Amps] Tetrodes in Grounded Grid, vs. Grid Driven?

Rob Frohne frohro at wwc.edu
Sun Apr 25 18:53:22 EDT 2004

On Apr 24, 2004, at 9:31 AM, Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:

> Rob,
>
>> I've read some comments here on the list that led me to believe that
>> grounded grid with a tetrode may not be as good for some reason as
>> running grid driven.  Can someone more knowledgeable bring me up to
>> speed on this issues involved?
>>
>> I'm looking at options for a Heathkit SB-230 that I purchased with a
>> smoked 8873.
>
> The problem is the geometry in the tube ... most tetrodes (other than
> the old 4-250/4-440/4-1000) just don't like having their grids tied
> together and being operated as a high-mu triode.
>
> If the filament winding of the SB-230 will support the extra 3 A of
> current, you would be better served by adding a screen supply, air
> plenum and blower to support a pair of 4CX400A tubes.  You could even
> use low cost (surplus) 4CX250s.
>
> Unfortunately, the single 8873 used in the SB-230 had a plate
> dissipation
> rating of only 300 Watts and was good for, at best, 500 Watts PEP
> output
>
> if operated safely and cleanly.
>
> 73,
Thanks Joe,

I have had great experiences with the 4-400 and 4-1000 in grounded grid
which partly prompted my question.

On the SB-230, I have considered going to a single 8874 which I think
is the same as the 4CX400A, and I still might do that, but it appears
that I could keep the conduction cooled feature of the linear if I use
an 8560AS.  The plate dissipation of the 8873 and the 8560AS are both
only 200 watts, though it looks like the 8873 is a little beefier in
other ways.  The difficult thing with the 8874 is that the amplifier
will require extensive mechanical modifications.  The socket must be
moved.  The beryllium heat sink must be removed and a new back panel
must be installed in place of the heatsink.  The 8560AS has a different
pin out than the 8873, but seems to have the same socket and physical
dimensions.  It is also quite reasonably priced.

What is it about these tetrodes that don't like having the screen and
grids tied together.  Is it a power dissipation in these elements, or
what?

Thanks for the answers!

73,

Rob