[Amps] F.C.C. proposes eliminating some rules regarding amateur amplifiers

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sun Apr 25 23:43:53 EDT 2004

On Apr 25, 2004, at 12:42 PM, Ed Briggs wrote:

> Some recent proposals from FCC (from ARRL webpage re Amateur=20
> Restructuring)
>
> The FCC also has proposed essentially eliminating its rules=20
> prohibiting manufacture or marketing of Amateur Radio Service power=20
> amplifiers capable of operating between 24 and 35 MHz. Originally put=20=

> on the books in 1978 to keep high-powered amateur amplifiers out of=20
> the hands of CBers, the rules now "impose unnecessary restrictions on=20=

> manufacturers of Amateur Radio equipment and are inconsistent with the=20=

> experimental nature of the Amateur Service," the FCC said in its NPRM.=20=

> The Commission noted that its Part 95 rules governing the Citizens=20
> Radio Service already prohibit use of external power amplifiers with=20=

> CB equipment, which must be FCC certificated.

=F0  The laugher is that the 1978 rule change considerably benefitted CB=20=

radio repairmen since it enabled them to earn money modifying Ham=20
amplifiers for CBers to cover 27MHz.  Typical bench time to modify an=20
SB-221 is under 30-minutes.  A retired FCC attorney told me that one of=20=

the FCC (initials R. K.) advocates for adoption of the 1978 10m=20
amplifier ban was found to be accepting greenback under the table from=20=

manufacturers to expedite FCC re-type-acceptance after the rule change.=20=

  R. K. was made an offer he could not refuse (Bail or Jail), and he=20
resigned.