[Amps] filament supply options

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Mon Apr 26 09:40:38 EDT 2004

         Since most all high current 5 volt DC power supplies have a
positive output, you may be one step ahead. Often the cathode needs to be
made slightly positive to reduce idling current and your effective bias
voltage would be 2.5 volts unless you float the supply and  use a resistive
divider (say 1ohm for each resistor)  and ground the tap so that the
filament would have +2.5 on one side and -2.5 volts on the other.
     My main worry about using an active (switching or linear) DC supply
would be how will it perform in the very high RF fields? The RF could cause
it to do some strange things. Such as either shutting down or even worse
going to max voltatge.

73
Bill wa4lav