[Amps] Resonant choke filter

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Aug 2 23:12:44 EDT 2004

On Aug 2, 2004, at 10:54 AM, Will Matney wrote:

> Peter,
> With looking through the books texts I have here, That is the way you
> design this filter using a swinging choke. With mine, I needed 400 Vdc
> @ 80mA maximum. So Lcrit = E / Imax which is 400 / 80 = 5 Henrys. Now
> the choke is a 5-20 henry swinging choke. So to get the minimum
> current for the bleeder resistor to have the 20 Henry portion we take
> 400 / 20mA = 20 Henrys or 20H x 20mA = 400V. So for 20 mA at 500
> Volts, our bleeder resistor would be 400 / .02 = 20K ohms. Then to
> size the wattage, 400 x .02 = 8 watts. A 10 or 15 watt resistor would
> work here. As long as Lcrit is met, the swinging chokes inductance
> will swing and level out with the DC load without saturating.

Will --  Swinging filter chokes work well with constant current loads
such as RTTY, FM, and AM linear amplifier service.  However, with a
varying current load, such as in a SSB linear amplifier, they do not
provide satisfactory transient regulation.  The only types of filter
that do are the capacitor-type and the resonant-choke-type.  Those who
doubt this should do a bench test with a DC oscilloscope since a meter
can not follow the transients.  Step up or down the load current and
the resultant V-transients are no less than amazing.  This is the
reason why Harris, Collins, Henry, Hughes, and other manufacturers of
SSB amplifiers use resonant-choke filters.
end