[Amps] Line Isolators for RF feedback

R.Measures r at somis.org
Fri Aug 6 10:10:01 EDT 2004

On Aug 5, 2004, at 3:04 PM, Joe Isabella wrote:

> You're right, Rich -- bad wording...  My point was only that even at
> 1.5-2kW, the PL-259s or coax
> they're soldered to would be first to go.
>
> I'll stick with my bead balun -- it fixed all the RF problems I was
> having, so unless it bursts
> into flames, I'll keep it!!

Joe -- the only problems that I have heard of is the ferrite beads
getting so hot they cracked and dropped off.  This is hardly surprising
since the ferrite material that is typically used in bead baluns is
rated by the manufacturer (not by the seller, mind you) at 1MHz
maximum,

> And there was a group of us talking about this very subject the other
> day.  How would one
> determine how much power could be run through a bead balun if I were
> to build my own?  (Assuming
> enough ferrite to cover about 12 inches of RG-400).

-  Simple, jack up P until a bead cracks and drops to the floor.  A
friend accomplished this with 2500w.  The bad news about ferrites is
that they start generating harmonics long before the self-destruct.