[Amps] Line Isolators for RF feedback

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Sun Aug 8 06:37:17 EDT 2004

The major manufacturer - see www.fair-rite.com

>Permag Pacific is a manufacturer, and their catalog says  Nothing about
>different frequency ratings for one-turn (bead-balun) applications and
>multi-turn applications.

I haven't seen their data, but in the Fair-Rite data you will find the
relevant information under the heading of "EMI Suppression". This is
because the balun and interference suppression applications share the
same objective: to create a high impedance along the wire/cable passing
through the bead.

Figure 2 in Fair-Rite's App Note on 'How to Choose Ferrite Components
for EMI Suppression' shows how resistive loss in a typical nickel-zinc
ferrite (#43 grade) starts to climb rapidly above 1MHz, which is why it
is not suitable for tuned circuits above that frequency.

But it *is* still suitable for EMI suppression and balun applications at
higher frequencies, provided that you use enough beads to create a large
impedance.

W8JI's balun page explains the limits on heat dissipation quite clearly
(www.w8ji.com).  There is also good background information in the
'Choosing the correct balun' page at http://www.dxengineering.com

>> Over its "wideband" region, a ferrite bead becomes increasingly
>>resistive as well as inductive. The resistive losses in each bead will
>>be I-squared*R and these will of course heat up the bead.
>
>... and crack, and fall off.

Obviously, not always...

RF engineering doesn't EVER reduce to simple "one-liners".

(except for that one :-)

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek