[Amps] Line Isolators for RF feedback

R.Measures r at somis.org
Tue Aug 10 08:43:51 EDT 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 12:23 AM, peter.chadwick at Zarlink.Com wrote:

> I found that the measured common mode impedance ona supposedly
> identical arrangement to the W2AU balun gave rather less common mode
> suppression. However, the losses about 5%, or about 0.22dB. That still
> represents 50 watts at 1kW however, and the beads at the balanced end
> did get warmer than the ones at the unbalanced end. Overall, the
> temperature rise wasn't that excessive - after 5 minutes, you could
> still comfortably hold the beads. Of course with 75 of them, that's
> less than a watt each on average.
>
> Now that is in a matched system. In an arrangement with a high SWR,
> you can get a very large 'common mode' voltage across the balun, with
> resulting currents to be suppressed that can cause problems. For this
> reasons, I'm very leery about baluns with high SWR. Far better to have
> a proper balanced tuner.
>
> The balanced L network that Rich favours can, for some antennas, give
> wider bandwidth without retuning than the classic parallel or series
> tuned circuit. Feeding my 80m dipole on 40 (the feeder is 64 feet of
> open wire line), the balun feeding a balanced L network has lower
> working Q than a parallel tuned circuit, while on 80, the tuned
> circuit is better.
>
> Not,Rich, that you'd approve - the balun feeding the L network is a
> ferrite bead balun,

Peter - -  I favour using whatever is simplist that does the job.   I
use ferrites, but I know their limitations and ability to generate
harmonics when they are saturating.   There will be a ferrite core in
the input circuitry of the current amplifier that I am presently
constructing, however, the manufacturer rates the core material at
50MHz max and I am using it at 21MHz, max.  However, the balanced-L
antenna tuner that I am constructing to use with this amplifier will
use an air-core RG-213/u coax-choke ugly-balun wound on plastic pipe.

> and the L network inductors are wound on powdered iron toroids  3 inch
> o.d., 2 inch i.d. and 1 inch thick!  I did do the sums though to check
> that the flux density would be low enough to avoid problems.

-  Powdered-iron does not have the saturation problem that ferrite has.
  The trade-off is that iron has a lower Mu than ferrite.
cheerz