[Amps] 3-500ZG brands

R.Measures r at somis.org
Thu Aug 12 06:45:11 EDT 2004

On Aug 11, 2004, at 7:04 PM, Clay W7CE wrote:

> I've just acquired a Kenwood TL-922A which needs a new pair of finals
> (one
> of the filaments doesn't light up).

Clay -- Please mail me the tube with the open filament.  I will repair
it if possible, or, if not, autopsy it and post the picture of the guts
on my Web site.

> Does anyone have experience using the
> Taylor or RF Parts branded 3-500ZG tubes in this amp?  Does the
> cathode bias
> need to be changed when switching to the 3-500ZG?

Not if the ZSAC is 75mA to 90mA per tube.  However, the stock 7.5v (
zener in the 922) will usually be too much bias V.  -- i. e., not
produce enough ZSAC.
-  end