[Amps] 20kw Dummy load?

peter.chadwick at Zarlink.Com peter.chadwick at Zarlink.Com
Fri Aug 13 03:26:07 EDT 2004

Robin was asking about water cooling resistors. The old metal film ones
from Electrosil in the UK which were 50 watts in air were used
professionally at 30kW. If I remember correctly (and it was 40 years ago!)
we ran several hundred gallons per minute over them. If you got an air
bubble that stuck to it, it went in a flash - literally! A rough
calculation suggests that at 20kW, you need around 200gallons/minute to
get a 50 degree C rise between water temp in and water temp out. That's
imperial gallons, not US gallons.

You can do a lot better by vapour phase cooling, and boiling the water off
as steam. However, you still need to be careful,. because as the water
boils, a sheath of steam bubbles surrounds the resistor and can lead to
the rate of heat conduction falling, leading to a rise in temperature and
a run away condition. See Nagaiyoka (spelling??) curves. If that happens
with straight water cooling, because of too low a water flow, again, in a
flash - pfft!

Hope this helps

73

Peter SM/G3RZP