[AMPS] Carborrundum Resistors

Larry Carman lncarman at swbell.net
Sun Aug 15 07:30:58 EDT 2004

I have ten 890 AS carborrundum resistors. They are supposed to be 330
ohms 5% but they measure 400 to 500 ohms. Is it the norm that these
resistors change that much with age? Are they still ok to use for a
dummy load at there rated power ( 100 watts each, I think )??? All ten
of these guys parralleled come to 56 ohms. When I put the 259B to them
to check swrs, I end up with 1.3 swr at 2 MHz and 10 plus at 30 MHz.
With a variable 1000 pf capacitor in series, I can tune the swr
to nil to about 24 MHz. Probably would tune above 24 MHz ok if the cap
had a lower minimum pf.  I'd like to make an air cooled 3 KW dummy load
from these if I could.

Regards,
Larry N5BIp