[Amps] Kenwood 922-A

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sun Aug 15 11:10:04 EDT 2004

Doug --  If the original AC fan quit on my TL-922, I would Not be
looking for an exact replacement,   EBM/Papst's 5200N - series DC
brushless fan is 127mm diameter, the same as the 922's original fan.
The needed 12Vdc to run a 5200N fan can come by FWB-rectifying &
filtering the 11Vac fil winding.  The advantage of a DC-brushless fan
is that it will push as much air running the 922 from 50Hz mains as
from 60Hz mains.  This overcomes the 922's well-known problem of
running too damned hot on 50Hz mains.  .  Also, it is easy to make a DC
fan's speed vary according to temperature by placing a thermistor in
the exhaust airflow to control a power transistor which in turn
controls the V fed to the DC motor.  Thus, the hotter the air, the
faster the fan turns.  Is this cool, or what.  //  A good source for
EBM/Papst fans is Mouser  --- www.mouser.com/ebm-papst  p.1166.  The
price is $47.34
- cheers