[Amps] Suggestions to quiet a blower

peter.chadwick at Zarlink.Com peter.chadwick at Zarlink.Com
Mon Aug 16 03:21:44 EDT 2004

Ed said:

>The second source of noise seems to be a higher pitched noise that I
*guess* is related to the ball bearing

Ball bearings are noisy. A straight plain bearing would be a lot quieter.
but if the fan is supposed to be quiet, it may well be plain bearings
anyway. If not, it could be worthwhile  replacing the ball bearings with
plain phosphor bronze, or, preferably, oilite sleeves in suitable bearing
block.

I'm going to a model engineering exhibition next Saturday: there's
normally trays and trays of various sizes of oilite sleeves going very
cheap. If anyone has any particular requirements, I'll have a look. You
can generally ream an undersize one out. Funny, I've seen tools and ball
bearings and so on in the flea market at Dayton, but never oilite sleeves,
yet they're common over here in the model engineering shows. Yet at Dayton
this year, I got a very nice Mitutoyo vernier height gauge  for $15 - much
cheaper than in the UK.

73

Peter SM/G3RZP