[Amps] Need Diagnostic help

Vic Rosenthal vic at rakefet.com
Tue Aug 17 01:54:47 EDT 2004

Thomas Hix wrote:

> OK that is 2 different amps that had the same exact symptoms while at my
> location hooked to my 240 line.......both amps were making the
> arcing/buzzing sound inside the amp and both were showing a downward
> deflection on the high voltage meter.......both amps worked wonderfully
> with no sign of arcing/buzzing and no high voltage meter deflection when
> hooked up at my friends shop.

OK, you have a bad connection somewhwere in your 240 volt circuit, which
is loose and arcing.  Some component in your amp is buzzing in response
to the rapidly fluctuating 240 vac -- there's no arc inside the amp, so
your friend couldn't find any signs of arcing.  Maybe even a relay is
buzzing.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco