[Amps] RE: Need Help

Harold B. Mandel ka1xo at juno.com
Tue Aug 17 12:02:04 EDT 2004

Dear Tom,

The problem you mention is similar to a circumstance where a high-power
audio
reinforcement amplifier was being installed in a recording studio and
someone
heard a buzz and the speakers were not even patched in yet.

Upon close examination, the following was discovered:

1: There was corrosion on the copper leads at the supply circuit breaker.
2. The Neutral conductor buss bar clamp screw was not sufficiently
torqued.
3. The 10AWG leads connecting to the 30-amp Twist-Loc receptacle at the
    equipment bay were not sufficiently torqued.

Removing the primary leads, burnishing the copper with Scotch-Brite,
adding a
thin film of No-Ox-Id "A" (Special) anticorrosive grease and applying the
proper
torque to the a.c. connections solved the problem that was caused when a
severe
load was applied to crumby connections.

Respectfully,

Hal Mandel