[Amps] GBR and radiation exposure

Vic Rosenthal vic at rakefet.com
Fri Aug 20 10:51:48 EDT 2004

John Nelson wrote:

> HF broadcast sites run a lot of ERP and the field strength at ground level
> can be very high in certain areas. However, BBC transmitter engineers seem
> to live long and happy lives. And yes, I know they're M*rl*n nowadays but I
> can't bring myself to utter the name . . .

I worked at a BC station in the '60's, before this RF exposure nonsense.
  I had to climb a tower several times when the station was on the air,
and as a result I became part of the 5 KW AM radiator...I also climbed
past the 33KW ERP FM antenna, although I kept to the opposite side of
the tower!

The only concession to my safety was to cut the carrier for a few
seconds to allow me to climb on and off the tower.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco