[Amps] SAFETY WITH HIGH VOLTAGE

Jason Buchanan jsb at digistar.com
Fri Aug 20 20:08:29 EDT 2004

Harold B. Mandel wrote:

> When working on the outboard plate supply to my
> linear amplifier my hand accidently brushed the Positive
> HV stud on the beehive feedthrough and I became slightly
> airborne for a second or two.

Oof - that had to hurt.  Ten-Tec has a nifty means to ground the anode
supply by way of a piece of sheet metal attached via bolt in chassis
which can be rotated and rest atop the HV post.  Gravity holds the metal
in place across the HV post ensuring a fairly reliable means to help
prevent accidental HiPot testing.

When I was a young pup in school I used to charge up large filter caps
salvaged from old color TV sets - then place them on a table and wait
for a hapless victim to discover what they were.  It was more satisfying
to be out of view but within earshot of these "Tesla Discovery" events.

73 Jason N1SU