[Amps] PI Calculator

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Thu Aug 26 02:27:36 EDT 2004

I was trying out the PI calculator (Pi Network 1.0) written by Jim
Hawkins WA2WHV and can't figure something out. When using the
calculator, any plate impedance above about 1350 ohms will not keep a Q
of 12 in the Q input field after the calculate button is clicked. Of
course this throws off the end result wanted. This does not happen using
the excel spreadsheet available that does the same. The spreadsheet
method and the calculator is both dead on up to 1350 ohms. However, when
trying to input 1400 ohms into the Hawkins calculator, the result
wanders off from the spreadsheet because of the Q. I really liked this
app because it would calculate the size of the inductor in turns with
the diameter and spacing. Has anyone else tried this app and got the
same results? Last, are there any other reliable apps that will do both
the coil dimensions with the calculations made like Pi Network 1.0?

Will Matney