[Amps] Centurion cooling improvement ideas for AM service

R.Measures r at somis.org
Thu Aug 26 09:02:37 EDT 2004

On Aug 26, 2004, at 4:20 AM, Jason Buchanan wrote:

> R.Measures wrote:
>
>> Ian -- Agreed, however, the solution is:   do not have the dull-gray
>> anode stem chrome-plated on the 3-500Z.
>

> Is there any benefit to using heat dissipators with
> larger/taller/wider/more fins?

  For vertical airflow, wider is better since only the bottom fin gets
much air.  With vertical air flow, one wide and thick horizontal fin
would be optimal  With horizontal airflow and horizontal fins, the
total surface area of the fins is the bottom-line.  .

> I've seen ads for anode coolers that were an inch tall...  similar to
> those in QROtec amps...
> http://www.hamradiomarket.com/Articles/QRO-Images/60.JPG

RE:  the photo:  Horizontal fins with horizontal cooling makes good
sense, however, to adequately cool a 3-500Z with one fan, the fan must
be larger than at least 150mm -- which the fan in the photo obviously
is not.  (the Heath SB-220 uses a 150mm fan).  The nearest size
DC-brushless fan that is adequate for cooling 3-500Zs is 172mm.  Papst
makes one which sells for c. $50.  2-tubes cost $298.  However, if a
split chassis is not utilized, the fan shown in the photo can be used
to cool things above the chassis, and a 50mm fan can be used below the
chassis to cool the filament pins, provided that pin #s 1 and 5 face
each other on the adjacent tube sockets.  .