[Amps] Centurion cooling improvement ideas for AM service

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Thu Aug 26 16:44:50 EDT 2004

     With easing up on the requirements to get a HF license. It is becoming
more and more difficult to find a spot to operate. Some would interpret
6KHz bandwidth limit for SSB to mean that splatter is acceptable.  3 Khz is
sufficient band width to communicate by voice. In fact telephones have been
built using the 300 to 3000 Hz band width ( or there about) as being
sufficient for all voices but
perhaps not music.
     6 kHz on SSB would be greater audio bandwidth than used for standard
AM broadcast (5kHz). Which was adopted to accommodate music broadcast.
    The other side to using 6kHz for SSB in particular on the receiving end
would require twice the  transmitted power to accomplish the same signal to
noise as compared to 3khz. And 3 times the tx power than when using 2kHz.
So the minimum power rule enters in as well.
     Using twice the bandwidth than necessary just does not make sense.
     What I don't understand is the use of independent sideband. What does
ISB have to do with ham radio. It was used for long distance phone
communications before undersea cables and satellites to either transmit two
or more channels or for secure transmissions. Are we going to transmit
stereo? If so it seems to be a waste of bandwidth.
     Also, mixing automated digital modes and voice or manual CW is a bad
mistake. For example a PSK 31 station observing a CW station would perhaps
think that he is not going to interfere with it and go ahead and transmit
only 50 or 100 Hz from the CW stations frequency. Or a CW station may think
that a PSK31 station was just a birdie or some other obnoxious signal that
was not a ham station if he did not have a means of monitoring (a computer
and such). You can hear the modulation on a PSK31 signal if you have
sufficient signal strength. But other wise it may just sound like some
other spurious signal produced by the numerous microcontrollers in the
neighborhood.
    The accepted minimum bandwidth for CW 3 times the dit rate (2.5 times
WPM= Hz bandwidth)  the word rate. The theoretical limit is actually the
dit rate but it is difficult to copy with out using a computer at that
narrow of a bandwidth (this is easy to prove mathematically). So 11 or 12
WPM would take up the space of 1 PSK31 signal if we limited the rise and
fall time of the transmitter to what would be necessary. Or if you used a
computer to copy, the speed of OOK (CW) could be raised to over 20 wpm but
to limit the TX bandwidth to the real bandwidth limit would require more
than a key click filter. Just limiting the rise and fall times to some
value will not do it. This is another story entirely. You might call it
SSBCW with Carrier.

     My fear is that if we persist in setting HARD limits in bandwidth and
such we will finally end up with the HF bands defined as channels (like
60meters) and require everyone to use "Standardize radio equipment". This
would prevent lots of experimentation and learning by young and old ham.  I
would like one change, after giving it much thought. That is, to allow HF
amplifiers to be manufactured that  can be driven by low power
transmitters. This allows QRP operators/experimenters  to easily purchase
QRO equipment. It is OK as long as there are provisions for not allowing
amplifiers to be sold to non-HF-hams.

73
Bill wa4lav