[Amps] Audio BW -- Please just let us operate!!

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 10:33:24 EDT 2004

Actually Steve, the problem is usually that these stations are transmitting
plenty of high end, (I have yet to hear of any ham who invests in the gear
necessary to tx nice full audio and only bothers with the bottom 200 hz) but
people such as yourself are listening on receivers with 2.7 or less
bandwidth so you don't copy any of the high end--your rx chops it off.  If
you had for example, a kenwood 870 opened to 6, 4.8 or even 3 khz you'd
discover a world of difference.  Oh, but then they would be too wide.  So,
let's see--to make people like you happy, they have to give up on what they
are doing, which essentially seems to be the ARRL board's philosophy also.
That's great.  I'm surprised the ARRL doesn't petition the FCC to shut down
HDTV because most of their membership probably do not own HDTV sets and all
these tv stations are hogging two channels.  It's basically the same logic.

No, bass in and of itself does not cause "splatter."

73,
rob/k5uj

<<<hey Joe

the issue is not the bassiness itself, the issue is that bass uses up so
much power.
i cannot copy a bass boosted signal at S-9
the op has to boost his high end so his "audience" can copy him, so in this
case we have 2 issues: 1) splatter caused by all that bass  2) increased hi
frequency components that do make the signal wide

steven    W4IIV>>>