[Amps] Centurion cooling improvement ideas for AM service

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Fri Aug 27 11:44:10 EDT 2004

Rob and Gary,
Correct, that's why I mentioned earlier the plate transformer needs to
be designed to handle at least 100% of the power that the carrier
creates. If the transformer is sized to supply 50% of the peak power
input, it will always be capable of sustaining the carrier at 100% duty
cycle. The heater supply and control grid supply should be rated at 100%
duty cycle, though. In most all large amps, these are supplied by
separate transformers, but I have seen some wound on the same cores. All
this needs to be calculated in at design time.

I always heard the controversy of the Heathkit SB-220's plate
transformer being too small. I never did get a chance to reverse
engineer one, but If I knew the core dimensions, and winding wire sizes,
I could tell what they done pretty quick. I did always here by others
that the plate transformer in the SB-220 actually did exactly what it
was supposed to do if the amp was run correctly. If the core was a shade
small, and they used at least 700 circular mils per amp on the wire, it
should be ok. If they used 500 circular mils per amp, it might have got
hot. At 500 circular mils per amp, 14 gauge wire is rated for only 7
amps instead of the 15 amps for conduit rating. The problem is, the heat
can't escape quick enough out of the tight coils and dissipate. So a
minimum of 500 was devised by the transformer manufacturers. This is
what you get from most "off-the-shelf" transformers. Amateur, and
commercial equipment, is a horse of a different color when determining
transformer sizes and power ratings.

One manufacturer that can be learned from is Hammond Manufacturing. They
wind countless numbers of transformers for tube type audio service. I
have reverse engineered several of their transformers by core size and
Kva rating. All have came out to the same power rating as I calculate
one. Most of Peter Dahls do too. Some of Dahls direct replacements do
not however. I assume that they don't because they were wound by the
original specs from the end equipment manufacturers. Keeping in mind
that if the core size was made larger, the transformer wouldn't bolt up
in the equipment! Without know what wire they used, I can't say if they
raised the value or not. They can't that much as the coil couldn't fit
in the windows of the core.

Will Matney