[Amps] RE: Audio BW -- Please just let us operate!!

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Fri Aug 27 17:03:27 EDT 2004

Dale, I guess it depends on your perspective.  I like 17m, and its phone
band is only 58 kHz wide, with zero margin.  The "real" width of the band is
probably more like 52 kHz.  Once 100 signals are jammed into that space, and
any time there's propagation, this is the case, it sounds pretty full.  And
this is a band where regular contests aren't scheduled.

Depends on where you are and how big your antenna is.  If I had a dipole,
the band wouldn't sound as crowded.

'Tis true that when I use my 26 year-old TR-7, which always had a 4 kHz
roofing filter in its first IF by design and from the start, the bands sound
"cleaner" than when I use some much more modern equipment.  One reason to
hold on to good stuff, sometimes.

-WB2WIK/6