[Amps] AM and Speech Processors ...

Joe Isabella n3ji at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 27 19:43:59 EDT 2004

The Administrator is right, and I appologize for starting this to those of you that would rather
not have heard about it.  The problem is that there really isn't a good forum to discuss this with
a wide swath of Amateurs.  There were two things I wanted to bring out by doing it:

1) To show haw much mis-information like "Bass causes splatter" and/or "passing higher frequencies
causes splatter.  Splatter is caused by distortion, not by allowing a wider range of audio through
the passband.  This is the kind of stuff that EVERYONE needs to figure out before the comment
period is opened on the proposal.  I hope all of you (that care) learn all there is about this and
comment accordingly.

2) To get a feel for the attitudes about this subject.  I *DO* run AM about 50% of my operating
time, but I will tell you that if this 3 kHz SSB audio rule goes into affect, that ratio will
increase.  I also ask that everyone that runs the ESSB explore AM.  It's allowed everywhere phone
is and if they're going to force 3k down our throats, then let's all switch to AM and take up 9k
instead.

The best thing about this is that I know for a fact that the League is wanting to push us into
newer technologies, and you all already brought this up.  I've been working with Digitized audio
for some time now with the mobile phone company I've been employed with for the last 11 1/2 years.
 I look forward to working with you all on this one.  Maybe we can exploit the 6kc ISB the League
proposes to pass truly HiFi digital audio.

Lastly, I had a rotten day fishing down here in the Keys, and now there's another hurricane headed
this way.  My parents went through Charley, and I'm praying that this one misses FL totally.  I
also wish the Moderator well -- I hope you get back to some sort of normal routine very soon!!

Thanks and 73,
Joe,
N3JI