[Amps] White Smoke

Harold B. Mandel ka1xo at juno.com
Sat Aug 28 05:05:06 EDT 2004

Dear Rich,

Thanks for the reply.

The schematic of the xfmr, as supplied by PWD, shows the dual
primary windings "side by side" (however vertically) with the
associated pin-outs corresponding to the original ALPHA 77
transformer plug. This means that the uppermost winding
has pin 6 on one side of the coil and pin 12 on the other, or lower
side of the coil. The lower set of primary windings has pin 9 at the
top and pins 7&10 both bonded to the lower coil wire.

This arrangement matches the pin out of the ALPHA xfmr plug
exactly, wherein the pins 9 & 12 are jumpered together for 240vac
service.

Before connecting any a.c., a resistance check was made to
verify continuity and lack of continuity between specific leads
just in case there was a primary-to-frame short, and to verify the
two primaries were indeed being connected correctly.

If a phase reversal occurred in winding the xfmr, the error was
embedded and the leads extended so that following the diagram
produced the damage.

(Yes, no, Maybe???)

Thanks,
Hal