[Amps] AL-1500 pi-network capabilities

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Aug 30 11:01:22 EDT 2004

On Aug 30, 2004, at 3:16 AM, Pete Smith wrote:

> I've been toying with the idea of adding a modern amp to my SB-220 for
> SO2R operation.  One of the things I really like about the SB-220 is
> that its pi network has sufficient matching range on the low bands so
> that, for example, I can run my 40M yagi, which is cut for the CW end,
> up well into the phone band, or run my 80m K3LR array, which is cut
> for 80CW, up to at least 3900 kHz.
>
> Does the AL-1500 have similar matching range, or will I find myself
> more restricted?

Pete -- The Pi output is similar.  However, before taking an AL-1500 on
a trip, it might be a good idea to install a VHF parasitic suppressor
in the anode circuit.  I would also add a glitch R in the HV+ lead,
for which I would use 2, 10-ohm 10w, glass-coated resistors in series.
As for the suppressor, if it does not get infernally hot on 28MHz, the
Q is too high.   If the AL-1500 has a "neutralization circuit", I would
remove it.  ///  -  note 1 -  there is no way to neutralize a HF
amplifier at the always-present VHF resonance in the anode circuit.
note 2 - This (RCA Transmitting Tube Manual) "neutralization circuit"
adds a feedback path between the anode/output and the cathode/input,
however, in a g-g amplifier, this is not a very good idea, unless the
plan is to make it into a VHF osc.
-cheers-