[Amps] AL-1500 pi-network capabilities

Vic Rosenthal vic at rakefet.com
Mon Aug 30 12:03:53 EDT 2004

mike kendall wrote:

> I thought Ameritron was using PI-L networks vice PI networks?  If
> that is the case, doesn't a PI-L network have a more limited matching
> range than a PI, but much better harmonic suppresion of course.
> Inside the ham bands, I'm assuming that Ameritron would expect the
> amp to run into at least a 3:1 VSWR.  If not, why even use tubes and
> just go solid state with the expectation your VSWR will be flat. R,

My comments about Q apply to PI-L networks as well.  A 3:1 SWR
represents a very significant change in operating conditions for the
network.  My guess is that there are many combinations of
resistance/reactance giving a 3:1 SWR that would result in excessive
circulating current in the coils and bandswitch of an AL-1500.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco