[Amps] load capacitor ratings?

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Mon Aug 30 20:37:47 EDT 2004

Rich,
Exactly. I talked to the owner of Oren Elliot (Orens son Stephen)
several years ago about this and what he thought the rating should be.
He had several thoughts on this but told me that most were using a X2
rating the same as the coupling capacitor for tune C. He recommended
using a load C with a voltage rating some higher than the peak voltage
rating across the load, generally having a 50 ohm load as standard. I
think he figured by a sometimes varying load, it could take more voltage
to create the same power across a mis-matched load. Of course this could
sure be the case and is something I would not have thought of at the
time. Not all antennas are a perfect 50 ohms or close to it. His
capacitors are tested in open air with a hipot tester. They had a jig
made up with a nut driver handle made onto a coupling to turn the rotor
with. They applied the hipot and turned the rotor through its rotation
to catch any arcing. My concern was the physical size of air variable
capacitors and what was the least size I could safely get by with. He
did mention that one was available where the plates had a "nylon
dielectric" to insulate the stator plates raising a .016" air gap to
1100 V (X2). They were about X3 the cost too! I took parasitic arcing
into consideration also, and he mentioned this too in his rating.

One thing to note about buying new capacitors from Elliot. If there
doing a large run for any company, they always have several setting on
the shelves and you can buy these cheaper than a custom or one that has
to be made up. I was using a 32APL-300-DE which is a double ceramic end,
300 pF cap with .032" spaced plates. I think you'll find this at RF
Parts, but I was buying them from they guy who sold them to RF Parts
beforehand. He mentioned using some stock 32APL-250-DE or 32APL-208-DE's
then adding a doorknob cap in parallel to bring it into tune. I did this
several times without a failure. Before Merit got these caps, I was
paying $11.00 each, and now they are $30.00 if I remember at RF Parts.
The 32APL-208-DE was about $9.50 each from Oren Elliot.

The .032" air gap has a voltage rating of 1070 V max. This was the load
capacitor with a 900 to 1000 Vdc plate voltage capable of 1800 watts PEP
on a 50 ohm load. However, for 1800 watts, this only requires 300 volts
PEP. 1070 V / 300 V = 3.56 : 1 safety ratio. In reality, a .016 air gap
with a 640 v rating would have sufficed in my opinion. This would have
gave about a X2 rating for load C.  The tune C he recommended was to use
a 48APL-41, which is a 41 pF single end cap with .042" spacing rated for
1500V max. Notice that this rating is not X2 either but only 1.5 times
the plate voltage. I never did see the tune C arc in any of these amps I
built. I have seen arcing in load C however. This is about the rating
were talking about here now.

I'm also not for sure who the manufacturers were using a X2 rating, but
they were amateur amplifiers using type M-73 capacitors (large frames).
The M-73 is rated from a .030 air gap at 950 V to a .140 air gap rated
for 3700 V. The M-73 is used in the QRO amps now. QRO wasn't in business
when we were having the conversation though. I use the M-73 myself in
the large tubes with a high plate voltage. These have real ceramic
insulators with high amperage strap type wiper contacts. I've seen some
by other manufacturers using epoxy glass board in place of the ceramic
insulators.

Anyone interested in OEP products can visit their website at;

http://www.orenelliottproducts.com/index.html

Will Matney