[Amps] Question: Ameritron AL-80A tuning

NW7US, Tomas nw7us at hfradio.org
Wed Dec 1 11:46:37 EST 2004

Hi,

I am using an AL-80A and have need as an Army MARS and National Guard Net
member to utilize frequencies far out of normal Amateur Radio
allocations.  I am finding it hard to get the Amp to tune on certain
frequencies "out of band" - I can get about 100 watts on those problem
frequencies.

I suspect that the filter netwoks in this Amp prevent it from being used
too far out of frequency.  Is that true?

For instance, let's say that I need to be on a frequency close to 5 MHz.
I cannot get more than about 100 watts out of the amp.  However, if I am
just above 4 MHz, I can get full power out.  So - it must be a filtering
issue.  In this case, I am keeping the BAND switch on 80, and the PLATE
ends up around the 40 section, and LOAD is between 5 and 6.  I have tried
other positions, and nothing works nearly as well as this - but this
position only gets about 100 out.

Now - is there a mod for the amp that would allow a wider range to tune??
Or, do I give up on this amp for MARS usage?

Thanks in advance.

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US (AAR0JA/AAA0WA)

: Propagation Editor for CQ, CQ VHF, Popular Communications :
: Creator; live propagation center http://prop.hfradio.org/ :
: Associate Member of Propagation Studies Committee of RSGB :
: US Army Miltary Affiliate Radio Service (MARS) SMD AAA0WA :
: 122.93W 47.67N / Brinnon, Washington USA CN87 CW/SSB/DIGI :
: Website/software/database design http://newwebmakers.com/ :
: 10x56526, FISTS 7055, FISTS NW 57, Lighthouse Society 144 :