[Amps] TL-922A - Loud Pop, Blown Fuses

Clay Curtiss W7CE w7ce at curtiss.net
Sun Dec 5 17:14:36 EST 2004

Thanks for the responses.  I didn't think about an internal tube short as a
possibility.  I removed the plate caps from the 3-500's and the HV  measures
normal (2100V CW, 3100V SSB). Is it logical to assume that one (or possibly
both) of the 3-500's has developed an internal problem or should I be
looking for other causes as well, such as a bias supply problem.  I don't
have access to a hy-pot tester, but a simple resistance check from filament
to grid on both tubes doesn't reveal a short.

One thing I didn't mention earlier (because I don't believe it's relevant)
is that the small filament choke (L20) that connects to the filament
transformer center tap, has overheated in the past.  Since one of the tube
filaments came unsoldered from the pin (a simple soldering job fixed it),  I
figure all of the extra current flowing through the small choke was the
cause of that.  Other than some discoloration, it appears ok.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.  I don't want to risk my power supply
by blowing more fuses trying to determine which of the tubes might be at
fault.

73,
Clay  W7CE