[Amps] more questions..

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sat Dec 11 04:40:06 EST 2004

On Dec 10, 2004, at 9:07 PM, Dan wrote:

> Little mor eupdate..
> i was wrong about hte transfomer taps the newer amp (the one I just
> got) is wired for the factory 120 volts default and I get 1600 volts
> the amp that I get more power out of is wired for 100 volts at the
> transformer and gives me 1850 to 1900 volts. Could this be the
> difference in output or the blackened tube?? I still wonder what
> trouble i get into by swapping out the 811a between the two. actuall I
> believe the older amp wired for 100 volts abd giving me 1900 volts
> might actually be the one that should be changed to prevent early
> death to the tubes.. manual says nominal 1700 volts///
The dead tubes I saw in an AL-811 were not offed by exceeding the 1500v
rating of 811As.  Excessive anode-V and AØ tends to melt holes in the
811A's puny 65w anodes  Instead, these tubes died from broken filament
wires - even though the amplifier was not dropped.  The amplifier in
question had been operating normally for about a half-hour when a pop
was heard and the filaments went dark.