[Amps] RF Chokes for the SB-220

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sat Dec 11 04:50:30 EST 2004

On Dec 10, 2004, at 9:03 PM, Robert Dorchuck W6VY wrote:

> I am trying to rebuild a SB-220 amp.  I found what appears to be a
> resistor in place
> of the RF choke on the grid of both tubes (RFC-4 and 5, 1 mh
> pi-wound).  The color
> coding is yellow-violet-black-red and it measures 47 ohms which almost
> matches the
> color code.
>
> Can anyone point me to a source for the correct choke or suggest a
> good replacement.
> Any help appreciated.

Bob -- The 47-ohm resistor acts as a grid-fuse / I-limiter.  During a
110MHz parasitic oscillation or a sudden antenna disconnect, this
resistor burns out and protects the tube from a (fatal) grid-filament
short.   My free, unsolicited advice is to locate a free supply of
3-500Zs  Before  you remove the resistor and go back to an RFC.  ///
Does the 220 have carbon-comp parasitic-suppressor resistors with the
coils wound on top of the resistors?  tnx