[Amps] Ref: 4- 6AG7 Linear

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Sat Dec 25 12:27:53 EST 2004

I ran 4 x 6AG7s in an amplifier that I still have.  It still has the
original tubes although I did not blow air over them or bathe them in oil.
I ran over 1000 volts on them, although it could have been up to 1200 as I
do not remember exactly.  But, I pegged a 200 ma meter on voice peaks.

It always troubled me that I could never see the plates, but it kept working
for the 6 months of fairly regular use before retired.  I finally retired it
to move up to a used HT-32.  I drove it with a home brew ssb rig using a
Collins filter that had 1 cw output and unknown ssb peak output, but it was
a 6AG7 running class A.

I still have that amp in a box and will have to fire it up with my CE 10A.

Those were the days - when a 6AG7 was high power and I needed a heater to
keep the room warm in the winter.  Now I just turn the amplifier on to warm
the shack up and get on the internet to work dx.

Merry Christmas.  May Santa Claus bring each of you a new Alpha amplifier.

Colin  K7FM

---