[Amps] Potter & Brumfield Relays

Bob Maser bmaser at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Dec 25 14:44:51 EST 2004

I am converting an old Collins 20V-3 to use on 75 and I want to use the
power cutback circuit.  This involves switching in some high wattage
resistors into the HV line.  I have 2 P&B PRD type DPST relays that look
like they will work fine.  I am concerned about using a relay that is only
rated to 277VAC, 20A.  Since I will be switching up to 3200VDC, is there a
safety potential here?  I do not intend to hot switch them, turn off the
plate voltage, then switch.  The bases on these relays are made from
Bakelite.  They are NOS and in good condition.  A friend of mine pointed out
that with the HV there might be a problem with the proximity to the 24V
coils.  The P&B relays are part number PRD60055.  The alternative is to
switch the cutback resistors with a hefty ceramic rotary switch, or a pair
of vacuum relays.

Would appreciate hearing comments from the group.

Happy Holidays,
Bob  W6TR