[Amps] Power Transformer

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sun Dec 26 04:00:49 EST 2004

Tomm Aldridge wrote:

> ... and what does Intel have to do with MS being targeted by hackers
> and spammers???  It is interesting to note that most high performance
> WS and servers are IA powered and that they are completely OS agnostic.

With one very uncommon exception (Windows NT on on the Alpha processor)
Windoze only runs on Intel x86 (or Intel x86 compatible CPUs).

The vast majority of Linux users use Intel x86 CPUs too, so bugs in code
that is used on UNIX and Linux systems will tend to have exploits
designed to exploit x86 compatible CPUs. A bug for example in the Apache
web server (which runs on Windoze, Linux, Suns's Solaris, IBM's AIX,
HP's HP-UX etc etc) could leave all systems open no matter what CPU they
use - x86, SPARC, Itanium and so on. However, any that try to run
arbitrary code will most likely be written to run x86 instructions.

I'm well aware Intel Itanium CPUs are very high performance, and I would
swap my Sun UltraSPARC for Itanium CPUs any day, but Itanimum systems
are expensive.  So I'm not saying Intel are to blame, but by not using
an x86 compatible CPU, I do reduce dramatically the chances of being
compromised.

There are many steps you can take to improve security, which in a rough
order of effectiveness might be

1) Stop using IE and Outlook, and switch to Mozilla.
2) Stop using Windoze and switch to a UNIX, Linux or Mac system.
3) Stop using Linux on x86, and switch to CPUs that are not x86 compatible.
4) Keep the computer switched off
5) Destroy the computer completely.

(I'm talking here of only the sort of system you run, not patches,
firewalls etc).

> I run XP on both my (PII and PIII) machines here at the QTH but I do
> not have either Outlook or ie on either.  I use Mozilla exclusively
> for both browsing and mail and have so far avoided any MS viruses.

You have done (1) above, but there are still many exploits of Windoze
that don't use either of those methods of attack.

I don't run Outlook on my PC, but my wife's grandchildren use the
machine and managed to get me a virus I think via an exploit of MSM
messenger.

Despite the fact one of my SPARCs is open to the world as a web server,
with http://www.g8wrb.org/ and many other sites on it, the thing has
never been hacked. I see plenty of attempts, but most will never succeed
on a SPARC processor.

Some have critisised Intel for not making the Itanium x86 compatible,
whereas AMD's high spec rival, the Opteron is backwards compatilbe with
the x86 instruction set.

Dr. David Kirkby, G8WRB.