[Amps] Back with another question - Ameritron 811H

Harold B. Mandel ka1xo at juno.com
Sun Dec 26 14:14:07 EST 2004

Dear Sir,

One phenomenon that may be occurring is the in-rush current
to the amplifier is very heavy. This is exacerbated by low line
voltage.

Using a delay timer and DPDT relay with some resistance
switching in and out of the transformer primary for just a
few seconds will allow the HV capacitors to charge slowly,
reducing the amperage drawn by the filter, and would also
allow the tube filaments to also draw current slowly by
limiting the amperage in the primary winding.

Mr. Rich Measures, AG6K, on his website,
SOMIS.ORG, lists a very reliable and affordable
scheme for step-starting that would prevent further
mishaps.

Sincerely,
Hal Mandel
W4HBM