[Amps] SB-220

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Dec 27 11:35:48 EST 2004

On Dec 27, 2004, at 7:16 AM, Dan wrote:

> Richard,
> I would think the inrush protection as on your site would no doubt be
> good regardless just to calm everything down a little when the amp is
> switched on.. Even though the 811H HV is at 1700 volts  I have looked
> at the circuit on your site and assume it would have to be changed a
> little on the Ameritron as the Ameritron 811H does not have a relay
> from transformer as noted.

A separate relay is required for step-start, no matter how the
amplifier is switched on.  The relay coil-V can be 12vdc, or whatever
DC-V is available from the extant relay PS.  - note - For a 12vdc coil,
FWD rectify the fil's 6V-ac and use a series-R with the coil to set
make at 2/3 of normal HV.  Also, a FWD might provide enough rectified V
to pull in a 12v relay.

> Unless i am missing someting. Either way seems like the way to go. I
> looked at Ameritron's external inrush device, but the problem I see
> with an external unit is the fact that you must switch the amp on and
> off from the external unit not the amp making it a little un-handy if
> say the evice is under a desk that the amp sits on etc..
> What about leaving it on..... his first question.

Not including a step-start in an amplifier increases sales of their
external step-start unit.  Mo' profits, supersize fries, and mo' bigga
SUVs are always mo' better in America.  I have think there would be a
market for an amplifier that has no design flubs.  Afterall, this stuff
isn't rocket science.

> I too come inhere early morning and tend to switch on the radio to
> isten in ona couple of nets etc. i might not actually go on air much
> during that time.But in result is it is on much of day Is there a
> recomended time etc to follow as far as switching on the amp I like
> having it ready to go .. but not sure how much life i take out of it
> if i sits 80% on on time .. tnx

I see no reason to let thoriated tungsten filament tubes idle, but
heater-type tubes, yes.  Any HV-PS benefits from a step-start.