[Amps] bird 43 slug

Skram, Helge (MED) helge.skram at med.ge.com
Mon Feb 2 13:41:56 EST 2004

Hello

I purchased new from RF Parts one of the Bird 500w 400-1000MHz, that I
intended to use on 1296MHz measuring power from a 2x7289 cavity amp.
I have 3 Bird 43 meters in use.
I stopped using the Bird 500w probe after it was verified to measure low by
about 25%. There was also some erratic behaviour at high power levels.
Purchased a EME directional coupler from SSB Electronis and this perfomed
wery well and according to expectations. However maximum power is limited to
200w at 1296MHz. Therefore I now have a 1-4GHz directional coupler from
Narda, capable of 500w. This didn't cost me much more than a Bird slug and
is highly recomended. Will need diode heads and meter. Was purchased second
hand from Stewart of Reading in England.
It is correct that the Bird slugs are more broadband at higher power levels.

A 1000w 400-1000MHz probe should be reasonable accurate at 1296MHz.
A 500w (at least mine) is so so.

You can recalibrate the Bird slugs if you dare. There is a small trimpot in
the probe that can be adsjusted.
Have to remove the cover by heating it with a heatgun.
To recalibrate Bird slugs you must have a primary reference with good
accuracy.

73 de LA6MV
Helge