[Amps] MagCap Engineering ?

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Mon Feb 9 10:01:42 EST 2004

In a message dated 2/9/04 09:11:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Chuck_Partain at Maxtor.com writes:

>   I was asking about a 240v pri 2800v sec. 1.5A  CCS , The Peter Dahl I
>   bought a few years ago is 74 lb's. The MagCap is only 30lb's , maybe
> bigger
>   is not better?
>   I would like to hear from those that are using the MagCap before I place
> an
>   order, good, bad or whatever
>   Tks Ed N5BLZ

I DO NOT suggest being an authority on this subject about transformers, but
in my experience over the years with them, it sounds to me that 30 pounds for a
1.5ACCS transformer is very light weight.  Seems to me that it should weigh
at least twice that!  I thought that the Hypersil method of winding
transformers lowered the weight somewhat, but even at that they tend to be heavy.  If the
weight of that is really 30 pounds for a 1.5A CCS transformer, I would like
to know how they accomplish that.  perhaps someone on the list is an authority
on this and can explain how they lighten up the weight of such a powerful
transformer!  I once bought a NEW Hypersil from Mr. PD, it is 3000v at 2A CCS, as I
recall it weighs about 60 pounds or more!
73 Louie W1QJ