[Amps] tube cooling

ROBERT MARSTON rmarston at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 14 08:27:09 EST 2004

Mark the critical points that need to be met when cooling a tube is to keep both the plate and cathode-heater seals below their maximum ratings. Typically they are between 200 and 250 Degrees Celsius. Sucking air from the top of the anode in most cases does not provide sufficient airflow over the cathode connections to keep them below their ratings. The water cooled variant of the 4CX10K requires 30 CFM to keep the cathode seals below their rating. You can get around this problem directing a second source of forced air at the base. For all of the extra trouble this entails it's more practcal to push the main source of cooling air up through the base in the first place.

Adios

Bob K1TA

Mark Beckwith <mark at concertart.com> wrote:
Could you wise old sages help me with simple question - I seem to recall
hearing that forced air cooling was not the same as, shall we say, sucked
air cooling. Do I remember right? Seems you could destroy your amp if you
tried to suck the air through the tube(s) tops as opposed to pushing it
through from the bottoms.

Advice please. Thanks in advance.

Mark, N5OT