[Amps] another zener question

Bill Turner wrt at dslextreme.com
Sun Feb 15 05:43:59 EST 2004

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:46:10 -0500, w2cqm at juno.com wrote:

>Here's the question, If I were to lower the zener value  to 10V (thereby
>raising  the idle current closer  to 500ma from the present 300ma),   how
>would that alter the RF output if all other parameters remained
>unchanged?

You would get a slight reduction in efficiency and a slight increase in
linearity.  Myself, I'd leave it at 300 ma or even less.  Actually,
anything above zero ma (cutoff) should provide adequate linearity and
reduce the demand on the cooling system.  If you're running a full
carrier mode like RTTY you probably wouldn't notice much difference, but
with SSB and CW, you will.

--
73, Bill W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW