[Amps] 4CX800 2 Meter Linear

Steve Thompson g8gsq at ic24.net
Mon Feb 16 16:02:27 EST 2004

On Monday 16 February 2004 01:40, Glenn McNeil wrote:
> Hi Gang..

> When I have max output, I'm looking at about 680ma Ip, very little in the
> way of screen current ( the needle hardly moves) and a big kick
> "backwards" on the Grid Meter...Yep, it attempts to go negative, and the
> more drive, the more energetic it becomes.Incresing drive see's more rf,
> but lots more Ip.

Not sure about what's happening with Ig1, but otherwise it reads as if the
anode/plate load resistance is too low. Maybe the output coupling connection
runs out of adjustment before getting to the right point. If the coax between
the ouput socket and the fingerstock connection is short, you could try
putting a quarterwave of 75ohm cable on the output so your 50 ohm load is
transformed into 112ohms at the amp output which might give you a better

Steve