[Amps] tube cooling

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 20:03:01 EST 2004

Mark Beckwith wrote:
>Vic, you're the second person to make this observation, so I am taking
>seriously the thought that MY alpha may be the odd one.  I am checking into
>a few things.
>
>My Alpha has the "auxiliary fan" mounted outboard behind the transformer.
>This could be part of the problem.

Ahhh... that makes more sense now. The auxiliary fan is a flat
Muffin-style computer fan, and these can give a very wide range of noise
outputs. Find out what type it is, and then check a good component
catalog that actually gives noise outputs, to see if there is an
equivalent type that could easily be 10-20dBA quieter.

There are various sources of noise in an air-cooled amp. Bearing and
blade noise from the blower and/or auxiliary fan are things you can work
on - especially with the Muffin fans which are a commodity item with
standard sizes and some range of choice. The more modern quiet fans have
better bearings and more rounded blade profiles. You can also often
reduce the transmission of low-frequency rumble through the metalwork,
and prevent the cabinet from acting as a sounding-board.

The one noise you can't reduce much is the rushing sound of turbulent
air... well, you can reduce it, but only at the expense of cooling
efficiency shortened tube life and generally reduced reliability.

Turbulence is vital for effective cooling. If the air flow over a hot
surface is gentle (laminar) there is always a stagnant boundary layer of
hot air which effectively insulates the surface from the bulk of cool
air flowing past it. Turbulence scrubs away the boundary layer, so it
greatly increases the heat transfer.

The key point about the "Blow or suck?" discussion is that turbulence
only exists *downstream* from the blower or fan blades - so there is a
real difference.

In desktop amps with the Alpha-type through flow cooling system, the
blower is buried deep inside (which helps reduce noise) and it delivers
highly turbulent air direct to the tubes. However, the inward air flow
from the rear of the amp is much more gentle, almost laminar, so the
power supply components don't enjoy the same effective cooling. The
transformer is the hottest single power supply component, and most
manufacturers place it right at the air intake so at least it has the
coolest possible air... but the airflow over the transformer is still
almost laminar, and there can be stagnant corners in the power supply
compartment where air hardly circulates at all.

Contrary to popular belief, the auxiliary fan at the air intake doesn't
greatly increase the air flow rate through the whole amplifier. It works
almost entirely by making the incoming air highly turbulent. It's the
turbulence that gives the dramatic improvement in cooling for the
transformer and other power supply components.

However, when adding an auxiliary fan, you do have to be careful that
it's big enough to keep up with the existing blower, or else it could
actually be choking the air flow and making the cooling worse! The most
reliable test (tnx K6GT) is to time how long it takes to inflate a
lightweight plastic bag covering the air outlet over the tube. If it
takes the same or less time with the auxiliary fan than it did before,
then your amp is in good shape.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek