[Amps] Grounded B+ amplifier

ka1xo at juno.com ka1xo at juno.com
Fri Feb 27 06:55:54 EST 2004

Dear Bill,

I can remember seeing some amplifier circuits in the either 1953 or 1978 ARRL handbook that employed the ground-potential anode and where the cathode was highly negative to the ground.

In fact, I can remember seeing pictures of the front panel where the builder used copper screen across the face of the meter, mounted inside the front escutcheon so if there were a HV event the meter would short out against the screening.

I remember seeing the tube. It looked like a Sohxlett Extractor with glass tits poking this way and that, and an udder-like general appearance, not round and symmetrical.

The filament transformer was supported on 1-inch by 3/8ths inch ceramic standoffs as were the air-variables, which all had insulated couplings on their 1/4-inch drive shafts.

That's the end of that film clip, Bill. I thought those people were on serious drugs back then, when all this stuff was on shelves on Varick Street in Radio Row in Manhattan.

Now I suspect a political Agenda.....

Hal
'XO