[Amps] IMD & ALC's

Radio WC6W wc6w at juno.com
Sun Jan 4 08:55:45 EST 2004

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:51:01 +0000 GGLL <nagato at arnet.com.ar> writes:
>     If one could just use it as a  50 watts exciter (sliding the
> internal 50 W setting switch) with/without a 50 Watts only demanding
> linear, could this working mode being an improve in IMD?, is still an
> ALC overshoot?.
> I have a 440 also and don't know (never tried that) what happens with
> ALC readings in the 50 watts max. output.
>
> Best regards
> Guillermo - LU8EYW.

Hi Guillermo,
    If I recall correctly from looking at the schematic years ago with
all the little wires running between all the boards, I believe that would
only change the ALC threshold on the forward power sensor so... whatever
compression, and overshoot, would occur at 50 watts rather than at 100.

   I think the best approach is to control (limit) the mike level
externally and then just use the radio's mike gain as a power set.
Then, the 440, or an attached linear, is never overdriven and never run
into ALC.

  I do run the ALC line back from the amp to the exciter, just in case
something is set wrong!  I've a "blinky-light" (indicator driven by a
one-shot) on the amplifier ALC line that indicates any... wrongness.  :-)

73 & Good morning,
   Marv  WC6W

*