[Amps] 3.5 kV 2A REGULATED Power Supply: Schematic ?

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Jan 5 07:37:24 EST 2004

>Rich said:
>
>>Stabilizing the screen supply with a series pass regulator is not
>>good engineering practice unless a screen supply bleeder is used to
>>protect against reverse screen current.
>
>I didn't make it clear that the  'low impedance' screen supply means low
>impedance both for source and sink - i.e good regulation for both source
>and sink..  For 6146B's, I use zeners - not ideal, but the screen current
>doesn't go very negative - rarely more than 1 or 2mA.

**  Zeners are plenty good enough at 1/3 of their dissipation rating --
and they are fail-safe.  For screen potentials of less than 700v, a zener
string is a good choice.

>>Stabilizing the grid supply in AB1 is of little value since there is
>>neither forward or reverse grid current.
>
>Stabilising has a lot of value if the screen supply is stabilised.
>Regulation is the parameter that has little value. Stabilising both is best
>to get around mains variations.

**   However, both of the Ugly Amplifiers on my Web site were sold to
operators who eventually experienced trouble with the screen-regulator
electronics.  As a result, the mo'-linear amplifier I am currently
gathering parts for will use a 1500V or so resonant-choke screen supply
with a 30mA bleeder.  Hopefully, this will be adequate.  If not, I will
add a FET-pass positive floating regulator shown in:
http://www.somis.org/D.a.08.GIF
However, since the speaking screen-I on a 4cx10-kJ is only c, 35mA
average, the regulation shouldn't be all that bad.

--  RE:  mains variations --  With an AB1 tetrode, when the mains sag,
the anode-potential sags and  ZSAC drops.  If the grid bias supply
potential also sags, ZSAC increases - which tends to offset the ZSAC drop.

cheers, Peter.