[Amps] measure inrush

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Wed Jan 7 17:31:12 EST 2004

Happy new year to all the amplifier builders and experimenters with
higher power RF here.

When I designed step start for commercial transmitters i used a clamp
on Fluke current transformer, and connected it to a scope. There I
could see the momentary inrush current scaled by 100 or 1000. As long
as the CT wasn't saturated this worked well.

When I step start modified my SB220 years back,  I just used low
value Resistors and noted that the plate voltage comes on for a
fraction of a second at lower voltage before kicking up to max. The
resistors didn't feel warm afterwards, so I believe it worked fine.

john
K5PRO